Moon 'pon Stick

Hello People!
Today was so fun! After a wonderful day of planning summer camp themes and meetings Shawn and I went to hang out with some of our kids and their families in the community. I haven't seen my kids in about 3 weeks so it was exciting for me to get to see them. One of them ... we'll call him Billy is so cute. He saw me walk up but since there were a bunch of older boys around he was hesitant to come say hi. I said hello as he fiddled with the chain on his bike. It was all jammed up so i went over and asked if I could help. As I was talking to him two of my younger boys ran at my and wrapped their arms around me. (I love my children!) After saying hello to the boys I lifted Billy's bike and flipped it upside down so I could fix the chain. Once everything was in order a boy I didn't know leaned over to Billy and I heard him whisper "you should say thank you". He didn't, and I just smiled at their interaction. Billy was obviously still trying to be cool in front of the big kids.

I actually needed to talk to Billy's mom about offering him the opportunity to attend free of charge a Tim Horton's camp in Nova Scotia! Tim Horton's donated 8 spots in their camp for kids from Urban Promise Toronto which is such a cool thing! Their camps are amazing. At first Billy was hesitant about the idea but as soon as I was talking to his mom about it he started with the "please can I go mom? please please please?" After talking to his mom I continued my rounds visiting all the mom's in the community. As I stood and talked to mom after mom (I was there for a good few hours I think) Billy would ride by on his bike and go back and forth past me, or just ride up and stand beside me as I talked. It was like, he couldn't say it or show it like the other boys, especially in front of the big kids, but he was really glad I was around. I guess he missed me as much as I missed him!

The title of this blog comes from a story one of the mom's was telling me today about how the country people in Jamaica react when they come into town and see street lights for the first time... she said they call them moon-upon-stick. Just thought it was a funny story. Maybe instead of being a candle on a hill we should be a moon on a stick. Just don't let your moons go out!


BElla

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, the light you shine in your community is definitely a great big moon on a stick!
Mom