Broken

I can't say much since I still don't know how to express how I'm feeling but I will give you some news from my broken perspective so you know how to pray.

When I first came to Urban Promise I was given the responsibility of taking over a youth basketball drop in program in the community. It was every Friday night and quite simply was a time for guys to come play and give them something to do other than hang out in the community. These guys became as much a part of my ministry as the kids were and I loved getting to hang out with them every week and watch their amazing skills on the court. There were two brothers who came every week from the begining. I remember them as the only light skinned kids and for their huge hair, but they held the utmost respect of everyone who came to drop in.

Last summer I was able to give the younger brother a job working in my camp. He was very eager to work for Urban Promise which was very encouraging to me, it showed his respect for the program. Basketball drop in was put on hold this year because of low staff for safety reasons and it was really hard for me not to be in the community.

This past Saturday at 3pm there was a shooting in the community, you can find it anywhere in the Toronto News. It killed the older brother, Jose. He was just 19. This has broken me so deeply. Please pray for his family, his mother and brother. Pray for the community that any thoughts of retaliation would cease. Pray that when visit with the family God would give me the words to say. Pray that the peace of Christ would reign in that community.

BElla

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hun,
I am thinking of you. I know we don't touch base often anymore but I know your love and passion for the people you work with and can only imagine how difficult this time is for you. There really are no words to say except my heart hurts for you and those involved.
I pray that God will sustain you, the family and the community through this time. Know that I will continue to pray
Love you,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you too beautiful Bella. God is taking you in His arms and holding you today. Love mom.